Czech Wines

the hidden gems of European viticulture

Viticulture in the Czech Republic is among the oldest in Europeand has about a two-thousand-years-old tradition. Already in the Middle Ages Czech wines had a good name and were supplied to the houses of both nobles and burghers. Even the Imperial Court in Vienna were interested in them. 

Unfortunately, at the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries the phylloxera beetle (Viteus vitifolii), which affected many European wine regions, caused great damage to the Czech vineyards.  At the beginning of the 20th century the area under vine in Moravia had fallen as low as 3,800 hectares. 

In the first half of the 20th century vini- and viticulture in the country began to expand once again and vineyards were renewed.  

Present viticulture in the Czech Republic uses modern environmentally-friendly technology and focuses on production of quality wines, some of which carry awards from prestigious international wine competitions. The expansion of wine tourism goes hand in hand with the development of the wine trade. 

 Brno, Czech Republic

1 – 3 Mai 2020

Wine Regions

The vast majority of the vineyards in the Czech Republic- 96% – lie in the wine region of Moravia, and the remaining 4 % in Bohemia.Their climatic conditions are similar to those regions such as Alsace (France), Weinviertel (Austria) or in the best vineyard areas of Germany.   Over two thirds of the total area under vine is planted with white varieties. Moravian white wines are characterized by an exciting range of aromas, rich characters and harmonious combinations of full flavour with fresh acidity. The red wines are full-bodied and distinctive with fruity, smooth velvety tones.

Read more

In 2018 Czech winemakers brought home over 900 medals from wine competitions around the world!

Grape Varieties

Despite its size and relatively small area under vine (ca. 17,900 ha), the Czech Republic has over 50 different varietals. The most widely-planted grapes are Grüner Veltliner, Müller Thurgau, Riesling, Welschriesling, Saint Laurent and Blaufränkisch. Each of those varieties has more than 1,000 hectares, which together accounts for almost half of the total vineyard area.

There are also several domestic, newly-bred varieties, including Moravian Muscat, Pálava, André and Neronet.

The creation of new grape varieties continues too, aimed mainly at those resistant to fungal diseases and at those suited to the production of organic – BIO – wines (the so-called PIWI varieties), e.g. Malverina, Savilon, Laurot and others.

Read more

Typical of the Czech Republic is the wide range of varieties cultivated there.

Brno, the gateway to the Moravian wine region

Located on its edge, Brno is the gateway to the traditional wine region of Moravia. In the past, many wine producers from across Moravia used the Brno wine market and supplied their products to local pubs and shops. Today, Brno is a modern city with a broad-ranging cultural and gourmet food selection as well as a network of wine bars and shops.

Read more